The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR860 is a 4-socket server that features a 4U rack design with support for GPUs, and is optimized for price and performance and best-in-class expandability. The SR860 now supports second-generation Intel Xeon Scalable Family processors, up to a total of four, each with up to 28 cores. Using the same design as the 2U ThinkSystem SR850, the SR860’s agile design provides rapid upgrades for processors and memory, and its large, flexible storage capacity helps to keep pace with data growth.
Suggested uses: General business consolidation, data analytics, virtualization, database, dense computing and scientific applications
The flexible ThinkSystem SR860 server now supports second-generation Intel Xeon Scalable Gold or Platinum processors and can scale from two to four processors. Built for standard workloads like general business applications and server consolidation, it can also accommodate high-growth areas such as databases and virtualization. The ThinkSystem SR860’s agile design permits rapid upgrades for processors and memory, and its large, flexible storage capacity helps to keep pace with data growth.
With the capability to support up to 48 DIMMs, four sockets, mix-and-match internal storage with up to 16 drives, support for two high-performance GPUs, and a dedicated slot for Gigabit or 10 GbE networking, the SR860 provides unmatched features and capabilities in a 4U rack-mount design.
Scalability and performance
The SR860 offers numerous features to boost performance, improve scalability and reduce costs:
- Supports second-generation Intel Xeon Processor Scalable processors
- Supports Gold and Platinum level processors in the Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family. Processors supported have up to 28 cores, core speeds of up to 3.8GHz, and TDP ratings of up to 205W.
- The SR860’s processor mezzanine tray design enables you to start with two processors and 24 DIMM sockets and upgrade to four processors and 48 DIMM sockets when you need it, helping lower initial costs and manage growth.
- Up to four processors, 104 cores, and 208 threads maximize the concurrent execution of multithreaded applications.
- Intelligent and adaptive system performance with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows processor cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor TDP.
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multithreaded applications by enabling simultaneous multithreading within each processor core, up to two threads per core.
- Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better use the hardware for virtualization workloads.
- Intel Speed Select Technology provides improvements in server utilization and guaranteed per-core performance service levels with more granular control over processor performance.
- Intel Deep Learning Boost (Vector Neural Network Instruction set or VNNI) is designed to deliver significant, more efficient Deep Learning (Inference) acceleration for high-performance Artificial Intelligence (AI) workloads.
- Intel Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (AVX-512) enable acceleration of enterprise-class workloads, including databases and enterprise resource planning (ERP).
- Support for up to 48 TruDDR4 memory DIMMs operating at up to 2933 MHz means you have the fastest available memory subsystem and memory capacity of up to 6 TB using 48x 128 GB 3DS RDIMMs
- Supports 2933 MHz Performance+ memory DIMMs which allow configurations of 2 DIMMs per channel to operate at the 2933 MHz rated memory speed.
- Supports the new Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory; up to 24 Data Center Persistent Memory Modules (DCPMMs) can be installed in conjunction with regular system memory. DCPMMs are up to 512 GB each, for a total of up to 12 TB of Persistent Memory.
- The use of solid-state drives (SSDs) instead of, or along with, traditional spinning drives (HDDs), can improve I/O performance. An SSD can support up to 100 times more I/O operations per second (IOPS) than a typical HDD.
- Up to 16x 2.5-inch drive bays — supporting combinations of SAS or SATA HDDs, SAS or SATA SSDs, and NVMe PCIe SSDs — provide a flexible and scalable all-in-one platform to meet your increasing demands.
- Support for up to 8x NVMe PCIe SSDs in a 2.5-inch form factor maximizes drive I/O performance, in terms of throughput, bandwidth, and latency.
- New high-speed RAID controllers from Broadcom provide 12 Gb SAS connectivity to the drive backplanes. A variety of RAID adapters are available, with cache up to 4 GB and support for 16 drives on a single controller.
- Support for two high-performance GPUs up to 300W each. GPUs adds additional processing power to the server.
- Supports the Lenovo patented-design M.2 adapter for convenient operating system boot functions. Available M.2 adapters support either one M.2 drive or two M.2 drives in a RAID 1 configuration for boot drive performance and reliability.
- The server has a dedicated flexible LAN-on-motherboard (LOM) slot, supporting a variety of 10 GbE or Gigabit Ethernet adapters that do not occupy one of the standard PCIe slots.
- A total of up to 13 PCIe slots: 11 general-purpose PCIe 3.0 slots plus slots dedicated to the LOM adapter and the M.2 adapter.
- The server offers PCI Express 3.0 I/O expansion capabilities that improve the theoretical maximum bandwidth by almost 100% (8 GTps per link using 128b/130b encoding) compared to the previous generation of PCI Express 2.0 (5 GTps per link using 8b/10b encoding).
|Machine types||7X70 – 1 year warranty|
7X69 – 3 year warranty
|Form factor||4U rack.|
|Processor||Up to four second-generation Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family of processors, either Gold or Platinum level processors (formerly codename “Cascade Lake”). Supports processors up to 28 cores, core speeds up to 3.8 GHz, and TDP ratings up to 205W. Two processor sockets on the system board and two processors on the Processor and Memory Expansion Tray (standard on most models). Two Intel Ultra Path Interconnect (UPI) links at 10.4 GT/s each. Four processors are connected in a ring topology.|
|Chipset||Intel C624 “Lewisburg” chipset|
|Memory||Up to 48 DIMM slots (12 DIMMs per processor). Each processor has 6 memory channels, with 2 DIMMs per channel. Lenovo TruDDR4 RDIMMs, LRDIMMs and 3DS RDIMMs are supported. There are 24 DIMM sockets on the system board, and an additional 24 DIMM sockets on the processor and memory expansion tray (standard on most models).DIMM slots are shared between standard system memory and persistent memory. DIMMs are available in three speeds: 2666 MHz, 2933 MHz and Performance+ 2933 MHz. Performance+ DIMMs support 2993 MHz with two DIMMs installed per channel (2DPC), whereas 2933 MHz DIMMs support 2933 MHz with only 1 DIMM per channel (1DPC).|
|Persistent memory||Supports up to 24 Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory modules (DCPMMs) installed in the DIMM slots. Persistent memory is installed in combination with system memory DIMMs.|
|Memory maximums||With system memory DIMMs: Up to 6TB with 48x 128GB 3DS RDIMMs and four processors (1.5TB per processor)With Persistent Memory in memory mode: Up to 12TB of Persistent Memory with 24x 512GB Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory modules and eight processors (3TB per processor)With Persistent Memory in AppDirect mode: Up to 15TB total memory (12TB of Persistent Memory using 24x 512GB DCPMMs + 3TB of system memory using 24x 128GB 3DS RDIMMs and four processors) (3.75TB per processor)Note: Support of more than 1TB per processor (more than 4TB for a 4-processor system) requires M-suffix or L-suffix processors with 2TB or 4.5TB memory support respectively. These calculations include any Persistent Memory installed. See the Processor options section for information.|
|Memory protection||ECC, SDDC (for x4-based memory DIMMs), ADDDC (for x4-based memory DIMMs), memory mirroring, and memory sparing.|
|Disk drive bays||Up to 16 2.5-inch hot-swap SAS/SATA bays.|
|Maximum internal storage||122.88TB using 16x 7.68TB 2.5-inch SAS SSDs61.44TB using 8x 7.68TB 2.5-inch NVMe SSDs38.4TB using 16x 2.4TB 2.5-inch HDDs|
|Storage controller||No embedded RAID12 Gb SAS/SATA RAID adapters:RAID 530i (cacheless) supports RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, 50RAID 730-8i with 1GB cache supports RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, 50RAID 730-8i with 2GB flash-backed cache supports RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, 50, 6, 60RAID 930-8i with 2GB flash-backed cache supports RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, 50, 6, 60RAID 930-16i and 24i with 4GB flash-backed cache supports RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, 50, 6, 6012 Gb SAS/SATA non-RAID: 430-8i and 430-16i HBAs|
|Optical drive bays||No internal optical drive.|
|Tape drive bays||No internal backup drive.|
|Network interfaces||Integrated 10Gb Ethernet controller, based on the Intel Ethernet Connection X722. The server supports 1 of 6 available Phy adapters, providing either 2- or 4-port Gigabit Ethernet, 2- or 4-port 10 GbE with SFP+ connections or 2- or 4-port 10 GbE with RJ45 connections. One port can optionally be shared with the XClarity Controller (XCC) management processor for Wake-on-LAN and NC-SI support.|
|PCI Expansion slots||Up to 11 PCIe slots plus a slot reserved for a LOM Ethernet adapter, plus a slot for the M.2 adapter. Four slots (slots 4, 10, 11 & 12) are on the system board and three slots (slots 5-7) are through a lower riser card. Slots 1 & 2 and 14 & 15 are via upper riser cards that connect through slots 3 and 13 respectively. Slots 1-13 available with 2 processors; slots 14 & 15 require 4 processors.The slots are as follows:Slot 1-2: Riser card slots (choice of x8/x8 or x16) (FHFL)Slot 3: Riser slot to enable slots 1 & 2 in the PCIe Expansion Tray (PCIe 3.0 x16)*Slot 4: PCIe 3.0 x8 (low profile)Slot 5-7: Riser card slots (choices are x8/x8/x8, x8/x8/x8ML2 and x8/x16ML2)Slot 8: PCIe 2.0 x2 / 6 Gb SATA slot reserved to M.2 adapter and drivesSlot 9: Reserved for Ethernet LOM phy adapterSlot 10: PCIe 3.0 x8 (low profile)Slot 11: PCIe 3.0 x8 (low profile)Slot 12: PCIe 3.0 x8 (low profile)Slot 13: Riser slot to enable slots 14 & 15 in the PCIe Expansion Tray (PCIe 3.0 x16)*Slot 14-15: Riser card slots (choice of x8/x8 or x16) (FHFL)* Slots 3 and 13 are used as riser slots to enable slots 1, 2, 14 and 15 in the PCIe Expansion Tray. It is also supported to have the PCIe Expansion Tray installed with only one riser installed. For example, it is supported to have a riser card in slot 3 but not in slot 13; slot 13 can then be used as a PCIe x16 slot.|
|Ports||Front: One VGA video port. Two USB 2.0 ports or one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0 port, model dependent. The first USB 2.0 port can be configured to support local systems management by using the XClarity Administrator mobile app on a mobile device connected via a USB cable.Rear: Two USB 3.0 ports, one VGA video port, one DB-9 serial port, and one RJ-45 XClarity Controller (XCC) systems management port. The serial port can be shared with the XCC for serial redirection functions.Internal: Optional M.2 adapter in dedicated slot supporting one or two M.2 drives (for OS boot support, including hypervisor support).|
|Cooling||Six N+1 redundant non-hot-swap 60 mm fans (all six standard). One additional fan connected to each of the two upper riser units. One additional fan integrated in each of the two power supplies.|
|Power supply||Up to two hot-swap redundant AC power supplies (all 80 PLUS Platinum certification): 750 W, 1100 W, 1600 W and 2000 W AC options, supporting 220 V AC. 750 W and 1100 W options also support 110V input supply. In China only, all power supply options support 240 V DC. Second power supply requires either Processor and Memory Expansion Tray or a power interposer card.|
|Video||G200 graphics with 16 MB memory with 2D hardware accelerator, integrated into the XClarity Controller. Maximum resolution is 1920×1200 32bpp at 60Hz.|
|Hot-swap parts||Drives and power supplies.|
|Systems management||XClarity Controller embedded management, XClarity Administrator centralized infrastructure delivery, XClarity Integrator plugins, and XClarity Energy Manager centralized server power management. XClarity Controller Advanced standard with the SR860; XClarity Controller Enterprise optional with software license upgrade. Light path diagnostics for local failure detection and reporting, with optional LCD diagnostics pull-out panel.|
|Security features||Power-on password, administrator’s password, Trusted Platform Module (TPM), supporting TPM 1.2 or TPM 2.0. In China only, optional Trusted Cryptographic Module (TCM). Lockable top cover. Optional lockable front security bezel.|
|Operating systems supported||Microsoft Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, VMware ESXi. See the Operating systems section for specifics.|
|Limited warranty||Three-year or one-year (model dependent) customer-replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty with 9×5 next business day (NBD).|
|Service and support||Optional service upgrades are available through Lenovo Services: 4-hour or 2-hour response time, 6-hour fix time, 1-year or 2-year warranty extension, software support for Lenovo hardware and some third-party applications. Actual offering may depend on the country where the server is installed and is subject to change.|
|Dimensions||Width: 447 mm (17.6 in.), height: 176 mm (6.9 in.), depth: 766 mm (30.2 in.). See Physical and electrical specifications for details.|
|Weight||Maximum: 39.8 kg (87.7 lb)|