Lenovo ThinkSystem SR630 is an ideal 2-socket 1U rack server for small businesses up to large enterprises that need industry-leading reliability, management, and security, as well as maximizing performance and flexibility for future growth. The SR630 server is designed to handle a wide range of workloads, such as databases, virtualization and cloud computing, virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), infrastructure security, systems management, enterprise applications, collaboration/email, streaming media, web, and HPC.
Featuring the second generation of the Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family (Xeon SP Gen 2), the SR630 server offers scalable performance and storage capacity. The SR630 server supports up to two processors, up to 3 TB of memory capacity with TruDDR4 DIMMs or up to 7.5 TB of memory capacity with a combination of TruDDR4 DIMMs and Intel DC persistent memory modules (DCPMMs), up to 12x 2.5-inch or 4x 3.5-inch drive bays with an extensive choice of NVMe PCIe SSDs, SAS/SATA SSDs, and SAS/SATA HDDs, and flexible I/O expansion options with a LOM slot, a dedicated storage controller slot, and up to 3x PCIe slots.
Combining performance and flexibility, the SR630 server is a great choice for small and medium businesses up to the large enterprise. It can provide outstanding uptime to keep business-critical applications and cloud deployments running safely. Ease of use and comprehensive systems management tools help make deployment easier. Outstanding reliability, availability, and serviceability (RAS) and high-efficiency design improve your business environment and help save operational costs.
Scalability and performance
The SR630 server offers numerous features to boost performance, improve scalability, and reduce costs:
- Improves productivity by offering superior system performance with the second generation of the Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family with up to 28-core processors, up to 38.5 MB of last level cache (LLC), up to 2933 MHz memory speeds, and up to 10.4 GT/s Ultra Path Interconnect (UPI) links.
- Support for up to two processors, 56 cores, and 112 threads allows to maximize the concurrent execution of multithreaded applications.
- Intelligent and adaptive system performance with energy efficient Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology allows CPU cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor thermal design power (TDP).
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multithreaded applications by enabling simultaneous multithreading within each processor core, up to two threads per core.
- Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better utilize the hardware for virtualization workloads.
- Intel Speed Select Technology provides improvements in server utilization and guaranteed per-core performance service levels with more granular control over processor performance.
- Intel Deep Learning Boost (Vector Neural Network Instruction set [VNNI]) is designed to deliver significant, more efficient Deep Learning (Inference) acceleration for high-performance Artificial Intelligence (AI) workloads.
- Intel Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (AVX-512) enable acceleration of enterprise-class and high performance computing (HPC) workloads.
- Helps maximize system performance for data intensive applications with up to 2933 MHz memory speeds and up to 3 TB of memory capacity with 3DS RDIMMs.
- Boosts the performance of data-intensive applications and delivers consistent service levels at scale for virtualized and cloud environments by using the innovative persistent memory technology that provides a unique combination of affordable large memory capacity and non-volatility for up to 7.5 TB of total server memory capacity, including 3DS RDIMMs and DCPMMs (DC persistent memory modules).
- Offers flexible and scalable internal storage in a 1U rack form factor with up to 12x 2.5-inch drives for performance-optimized configurations or up to 4x 3.5-inch drives for capacity-optimized configurations, providing a wide selection of SAS/SATA HDD/SSD and PCIe NVMe SSD types and capacities.
- Provides flexibility to use SAS, SATA, or NVMe PCIe drives in the same drive bays with a unique AnyBay design.
- Provides I/O scalability with the LOM slot, PCIe 3.0 slot for an internal storage controller, and up to three PCI Express (PCIe) 3.0 I/O expansion slots in a 1U rack form factor.
- Reduces I/O latency and increases overall system performance with Intel Integrated I/O Technology that embeds the PCI Express 3.0 controller into the Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family.
Availability and serviceability
The SR630 server provides many features to simplify serviceability and increase system uptime:
- Offers protection in the event of a non-correctable memory failure with Single Device Data Correction (SDDC, also known as Chipkill, requires x4-based DIMMs), Adaptive Double Device Data Correction (ADDDC, also known as Redundant Bit Steering [RBS], requires x4-based DIMMs and Intel Xeon Gold or Platinum processors), memory mirroring, and memory rank sparing.
- Provides easy access to upgrades and serviceable parts (such as processors, memory DIMMs, and adapter cards) with tool-less cover removal.
- Offers data protection and greater system uptime with hot-swap drives supporting basic or advanced RAID redundancy.
- Provides availability for business-critical applications with redundant hot-swap power supplies and redundant hot-swap fans.
- Simplifies servicing, speeds up problem resolution, and helps improve system availability with light path diagnostics.
- Allows preventive actions in advance of possible failure, thereby increasing server uptime and application availability with Proactive Platform Alerts (including PFA and SMART alerts) for processors, voltage regulators, memory, internal storage (SAS/SATA HDDs and SSDs, NVMe SSDs, M.2 storage, flash storage adapters), fans, power supplies, RAID controllers, and server ambient and sub-component temperatures.
- Continuously monitors system parameters, triggers alerts, and performs recovery actions in case of failure to minimize downtime with Built-in XClarity Controller (XCC).
- Provides quick access to system status, firmware, network, health, and alerts information via Virtual Operator Panel from the XClarity Mobile App running on the Android or iOS mobile device that is connected to the front USB port with XClarity Controller access.
- Speeds up troubleshooting tasks to reduce service time with diagnostics built into the XClarity Provisioning Manager.
Manageability and security
Powerful systems management features simplify local and remote management of the SR630 server and deliver enterprise-class data protection:
- Provides advanced service processor control, monitoring, and alerting functions with XClarity Controller, a next generation service processor.
- Improves Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) system setup, configuration, updates, simplified error handling, and operating system deployment with the embedded XClarity Provisioning Manager.
- Offers XClarity Essentials software tools that can help you set up, use, and maintain the server.
- Increases uptime, reduces costs, and improves productivity through advanced server management capabilities with Lenovo XClarity Administrator that provides comprehensive hardware management.
- Provides on-the-go monitoring and management of devices in XClarity Administrator from anywhere with the Lenovo XClarity mobile app, which can help improve efficiency and reduce downtime risks.
- Centralizes infrastructure resource management with Lenovo XClarity Integrators for VMware vCenter and Microsoft System Center, extending XClarity Administrator features to virtualization management software tools and enabling users to deploy and manage infrastructure end-to-end.
- Offers advanced cryptographic functionality (such as digital signatures and remote attestation) with an integrated Trusted Platform Module (TPM) or optional Trusted Cryptographic Module (TCM) or Nationz TPM (available only in PRC).
- Keeps user data safe with Lenovo Business Vantage, a security software tool suite designed to work with the Trusted Cryptographic Module (available only in PRC).
- Offers enterprise-class data protection with advanced RAID and optional self-encrypting drives.
- Provides faster, stronger encryption with industry-standard AES NI support.
- Helps prevent certain classes of malicious buffer overflow attacks with Intel Execute Disable Bit functionality, when combined with a supporting operating system.
- Enhances security through hardware-based resistance to malicious software attacks with Intel Trusted Execution Technology, allowing an application to run in its own isolated space, protected from all other software running on a system.
The SR630 server offers the following energy-efficiency features to save energy, reduce operational costs, increase energy availability, and contribute to the green environment:
- Delivers impressive compute power per watt, featuring 80 PLUS Titanium and Platinum redundant power supplies.
- Enables customers to lower energy costs with design to meet ASHRAE A4 standards in select configurations.
- Reduces power drawn with Intel Intelligent Power Capability that powers individual processor elements on and off as needed.
- Helps reduce power consumption with variable speed fans.
- Helps achieve lower heat output and reduced cooling needs with Lenovo XClarity Energy Manager that provides advanced data center power notification, analysis, and policy-based management.
|Machine types||7X01 – 1 year warranty|
7X02 – 3 year warranty
|Form factor||1U rack-mount.|
|Processor||Up to two 2nd Gen Intel Xeon Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum processors:Up to 28 cores (2.7 GHz core speeds).Up to 3.8 GHz core speeds (4 cores).UPI links up to 10.4 GT/s (2 UPI links used).Up to 38.5 MB cache.Up to 2933 MHz memory speed.1st Gen Intel Xeon processors are also supported.|
|Memory||Up to 24 DIMM sockets (12 DIMMs per processor; six memory channels per processor with two DIMMs per channel). Support for RDIMMs, LRDIMMs (1st Gen processors only), or 3DS RDIMMs. Memory speed up to 2933 MHz depending on the processor selected. Memory types cannot be intermixed.|
|Persistent memory||Up to 12x TruDDR4 2666 MHz DCPMMs in the DIMM slots. Not supported with 1st Gen Intel Xeon SP processors.|
|Memory capacity||Memory DIMMs only: Up to 3 TB with up to 24x 128 GB 3DS RDIMMs (Up to 1.5 TB per processor).Memory DIMMs and persistent memory modules:App Direct Mode: Up to 7.5 TB with up to 12x 128 GB 3DS RDIMMs and up to 12x 512 GB DCPMMs (Up to 3.75 TB per processor).Memory Mode: Up to 6 TB with up to 12x 512 GB DCPMMs (Up to 3 TB per processor).Note: Server configurations with more than 1 TB of memory capacity per socket (including DCPMMs and RDIMMs or 3DS RDIMMs) require processors that support up to 4.5 TB (L-suffix) per socket.|
|Memory protection||Processor’s integrated memory controllers: Error correction code (ECC), SDDC (for x4-based memory DIMMs), ADDDC (for x4-based memory DIMMs, requires Intel Xeon Gold or Platinum processors), memory mirroring, memory rank sparing, patrol scrubbing, and demand scrubbing.DCPMM’s onboard memory controllers: ECC, SDDC, DDDC, patrol scrubbing, and demand scrubbing.Note: In the configurations with DCPMMs, memory mirroring is supported only in the App Direct mode (other DCPMM modes do not support memory mirroring) and applies only to the RDIMMs or 3DS RDIMMs (DCPMMs are not mirrored). Memory sparing is not supported in the configurations with DCPMMs.|
|Drive bays||Up to 6 SAS/SATA hot-swap drive bays: 4x 3.5″ (front) + 2x 2.5″ (rear)4 LFF AnyBay hot-swap drive bays: 4x 3.5″ (front)Up to 10 SFF SAS/SATA hot-swap drive bays: 8x 2.5″ (front) + 2x 2.5″ (rear)Up to 12 SFF hot-swap drive bays: |
6x 2.5″ SAS/SATA & 4x 2.5″ AnyBay (front) + 2x 2.5″ SAS/SATA (rear)10 SFF U.2 NVMe PCIe SSD hot-swap drive bays
|Internal storage capacity||2.5-inch drives:184.32TB using 12x 15.36TB 2.5-inch SAS/SATA SSDs153.6TB using 10x 15.36TB 2.5-inch NVMe SSDs28.8TB using 12x 2.4TB 2.5-inch HDDs3.5-inch drives:72TB using 4x 18TB 3.5-inch HDDs30.72TB using 4x 7.68TB 3.5-inch SAS/SATA SSDs30.72TB using 4x 7.68TB 3.5-inch NVMe SSDs|
|Storage controller||12 Gbps SAS/6 Gbps SATA RAIDRAID 0/1/10: RAID 530-16iRAID 0/1/10/5/50:RAID 530-8iRAID 730-8i 1GB CacheRAID 0/1/10/5/50/6/60:RAID 730-8i 2GB FlashRAID 930-8i 2GB FlashRAID 930-16i 4GB or 8GB Flash12 Gbps SAS/6 Gbps SATA non-RAID: 430-8i or 16i HBANVMe PCIeOnboard NVMe1610-4P NVMe Switch Adapter810-4P NVMe Switch Adapter|
|Optical drive bays||None. Support for an external USB DVD RW Optical Disk Drive (See Optical drives).|
|Network interfaces||Onboard LOM slot for up to 4x 1/10 Gb Ethernet ports:2x or 4x 1 GbE RJ-45 ports (no 10/100 Mb support)2x or 4x 10 GbE RJ-45 ports (no 10/100 Mb support)2x or 4x 10 GbE SFP+ ports (no 10/100 Mb support)Optional Mezzanine LOM (ML2) slot for dual-port 10 GbE cards with SFP+ or RJ-45 connectors or single- or dual-port 25 GbE cards with SFP28 connectors.1x RJ-45 10/100/1000 Mb Ethernet systems management port.|
|I/O expansion slots||Up to four slots. Slot 4 is the fixed slot on the system planar, and the remaining slots depend on the riser cards installed. The slots are as follows:Slot 1: PCIe 3.0 x8, ML2 x8, or ML2 x16; low profileSlot 2: PCIe 3.0 x16 or x8; low profile or full-height, half-lengthSlot 3: PCIe 3.0 x16; low profileSlot 4: PCIe 3.0 x8 (dedicated to an internal storage controller)Slot 3 requires the second processor to be installed.|
|Ports||Front: 1x USB 2.0 port with XClarity Controller access and 1x USB 3.0 port; optional 1x VGA port.Rear: 2x USB 3.0 ports and 1x VGA port. Optional 1x DB-9 serial port.|
|Cooling||Five (one processor) or seven (two processors) hot-swap system fans with N+1 redundancy.|
|Power supply||Up to two redundant hot-swap 550 W, 750 W, or 1100 W (100 – 240 V) High Efficiency Platinum, or 750 W (200 – 240 V) High Efficiency Titanium AC power supplies. HVDC support (PRC only).|
|Video||Matrox G200e with 16 MB memory integrated into the XClarity Controller. Maximum resolution is 1920×1200 at 60 Hz with 32 bits per pixel.|
|Hot-swap parts||Drives, power supplies, and fans.|
|Systems management||XClarity Controller (XCC) Standard, Advanced, or Enterprise (Pilot 4 chip), proactive platform alerts, light path diagnostics, XClarity Provisioning Manager, XClarity Essentials, XClarity Administrator, XClarity Integrators for VMware vCenter and Microsoft System Center, XClarity Energy Manager, Capacity Planner.|
|Security features||Power-on password, administrator’s password, secure firmware updates, Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 or 2.0 (configurable UEFI setting). Optional lockable front bezel. Optional Trusted Cryptographic Module (TCM) or Nationz TPM (available only in PRC). Optional Lenovo Business Vantage security software (available only in PRC).|
|Operating systems||Microsoft Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, VMware ESXi. See the Operating systems section for specifics.|
|Warranty||One-year (Machine Type 7X01) or three-year (Machine Type 7X02) customer-replaceable unit (CRU) and onsite limited warranty with 9×5 Next Business Day Parts Delivered.|
|Service and support||Optional service upgrades are available through Lenovo Services: 2-hour or 4-hour response time, 6-hour or 24-hour committed service repair (select areas), warranty extension up to 5 years, 1-year or 2-year post-warranty extensions, YourDrive Your Data, Enterprise Software Support, and Basic Hardware Installation Services.|
|Dimensions||Width: 435 mm (17.1 in.), height: 43 mm (1.7 in.), depth: 750 mm (29.5 in.). See Physical specifications for details.|
|Weight||Minimum configuration: 11.9 kg (26.2 lb), maximum: 18.8 kg (41.4 lb)|